Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Breaking the brat, even when it hurts.

So, I have a confession to make,
Ready?

My children are brats.

Oh wait, what, that wasn't a secret? Well, let me explain.

When you want nothing more in life than to become a mom, and you get that gift, you are so excited, and thankful, and you want everything for that child, so, you give it to them. Then somewhere along the line, you realize that you can't stop. You give to stop the whining, or to ease a hurt, or to mend a heart, or to make up for not being there. Then there are birthdays, holidays, and book orders...it never ends.

Well, I am stuck in this rut, of giving out of guilt, saying I will make them learn the value of a dollar, and then not following through, and this is truly on me, not on them.

I am finished. I will not give in, I will not buy just because, and I will not do for them anymore. Aaron seriously threw a thirty minute fit all the way home from target, because I would not get him gummies ( fruit snacks) at the checkout. It was 10 a.m., and just because it says fruit does not mean it is healthy. So, I said no, and he cried and screamed, and we both got upset with each other, but I did not give in, I made him realize I meant it.

I said no!

I know no big deal, but to me, it was a baby step in a long line of steps.

I will not give in, I will not back down, I am a mom, and I will change how my children act by using my actions, not just expect change from them.

Therefore, I will break the brat. I will raise children to do for themselves, and earn their keep, I am just so sorry that it took me this long to see it.

It kills me to know that I have hurt them. I do say no, but apparently, I need to teach them better how to behave, and how to do for themselves, because I love them.



No comments:

Post a Comment